- The research by Josh Mitchell demonstrates that having a college education is more important today than a few years ago by mentioning in the article that the median earnings for high school graduates have dropped from $435,000 per year to only $243,000 in the last few decades. This research shows that a student today studying for their college degree will likely get higher earnings per year than a student with only a high school diploma.
- Students with better grades, as the article states, have a larger probability of attending college and continuing their education. A lower GPA may mean that college may not be likely for that student. I personally know students who have gotten accepted into Ivy League colleges because of their GPA. A low GPA will make it harder to get accepted into a University, while a higher one will increase one’s chances. Here is an article with tips to keeping grades and GPA up.
- The correlation between high school grades and overall educational attainment was strongest for minorities. As the article says, studies show that African American and Hispanic men were actually more likely to go to college than caucasian men with the same GPA. This could be because minorities feel they must prove themselves more in today’s society to accomplish their goals.
Monday, March 20, 2017
Monday, March 13, 2017
- The reason behind the 27% increase in students enrolled in North Valley Charter Academy was because they switched from traditional to military schooling, which, as the article says, raised the chances of each student getting accepted into college to about 95%.
- The North Valley Charter Academy has backed away from traditional schooling ways and has moved into more of a military style. This change is to teach students discipline and respect and to encourage them to go to college or to enroll in the military. Kids’ grades have also gotten better since the school switched from the traditional manner.
- Developing responsibility in students is very important in high school. Students are about to be on their own in the real world and if they have no self-control or responsibility then life will be rough. High school can start better preparing students for life by offering financial classes. This is a start, since school teaches students next to nothing about how to balance a checkbook, when it’s one of the most important skills in the real world. Here is an article that expands on this thought.
Monday, March 6, 2017
- Colleges are now looking at a person’s social media activity and posts before they accept them into their school. I agree that they should do this. Social media should definitely be taken into account because it reflects the behavior of a student outside of school and will help determine their commitment to the college. Looking at posts and comments will benefit a college and it’s students by helping to determine whether or not the applicant is irresponsible or careless, and if they are, to keep them out of a class of students who wish to learn.
- ‘Sometimes kids are worried more about being a character than having character.’ I agree with this quote. It’s true in every school. There are some kids who act with kindness, honesty, compassion and respect. But, unfortunately, the majority does not. I notice kids every day who will make a scene or act rude to others purely to bring attention to themselves, or to be considered “popular” among their friends and peers. While they may become popular among friends, this can damage their reputation with other classmates and teachers.
- High school is preparing students for adulthood. It pushes students to their limits just as college will do and shows what is expected of them from the real world. Breaking rules in high school has consequences just as breaking rules in college or in a job does. For example, if you’re tardy many times in high school you will receive a detention. If you’re late to work every day, there will be larger consequences. Here are more examples of how high school is preparing students for the real world.
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
1. If I worked a minimum wage job after high school, I would earn about $1,196.16 per month. If I were to rent a 2 bedroom apartment it would cost me about $600 per month. With a roommate, we would each pay about $300 per month.
2a. I will be staying on my family’s plan but paying my share for my cell phone. It will cost me about $50 per month.
b. I already have a car, so I won’t have to worry about buying one.
c. If I stay local, gasoline should cost me about $30 per month.
d. Monthly car insurance would cost me about $200.
e. I will stay on my parent’s health insurance policy.
f. Electric for my apartment would cost about $100, but if my roommate paid for half I would only owe $50 per month.
g. Gas would also cost me about $50 per month.
h. Oil changes would cost about $25.
i. Food for myself would cost about $200 a month.
j. I would set about $50 aside for entertainment.
k. Other household items, such as shampoo, batteries, or paper towels will cost me about $100 a month.
After taking all of this into account, I would be going about $188 over my budget.
3. Living from paycheck to paycheck can be very stressful. A variety of things could go wrong, all of which would cost money to fix or replace. I am already over my budget, without money set aside for emergencies. A number of things could go wrong with my car alone. Here are the 10 most common issues a car could have. Price for a certain item could go up, costing me even more money. My roommate could unexpectedly move out, leaving me with all the bills. This is why it is important to find a skill that employers will find valuable. You can find a job that pays with higher wages or have a side job to earn more money.
Monday, February 20, 2017
- One career that interests me is piloting. I want to be able to fly anything anytime they need me to. I have quick instincts and I’m a fast learner, which would help me as a pilot.
- If I were to be a pilot, I would look into going here. I could get a degree in this college and then go off to the air force.
- The annual salary of an airplane pilot is about $118,070. This is almost $10,000 per month.
Monday, February 13, 2017
- This TED Talk ties into our last unit because it talks about advertising. It talks about how sneakers are advertised and why people buy them, which is what we’ve covered with different products in our last unit.
- In the TED Talk he talks about how Nike sells from two markets. These markets are the secondary market and the retail market. The secondary market is where collectors would go to purchase more of a certain item. Here is a link that expands more on the secondary market. The retail market is where people would go to buy something to use, not to collect.
- If there was a ‘Stock Market of Things’, I would start collecting books and movies. I would have a room full of shelves for them all and I would try to read all of the books in my free time.
Monday, February 6, 2017
- This link is a human interest story. Its purpose is to inform and entertain the reader.
- The text structure of this link is description because the article is explaining the characteristics and facts of daydreaming.
- The self-driving cars interest me the most. Cars that can drive themselves are being tested in some places, and soon no one will even need their license. This could be good, reducing accidents by avoiding human error. Or self-driving cars could be bad. If nobody needed to drive, no one would bother learning how. Technology doesn’t have instincts or the ability to make that life-saving split-second decision. If something went wrong with the car, like the sensors shutting down, there’d be almost nothing we could do to prevent an accident, especially if no one could manually operate a car.