- One career that interests me is piloting. I want to be able to fly anything anytime they need me to. I have quick instincts and I’m a fast learner, which would help me as a pilot.
- If I were to be a pilot, I would look into going here. I could get a degree in this college and then go off to the air force.
- The annual salary of an airplane pilot is about $118,070. This is almost $10,000 per month.
Monday, February 20, 2017
Monday, February 13, 2017
- This TED Talk ties into our last unit because it talks about advertising. It talks about how sneakers are advertised and why people buy them, which is what we’ve covered with different products in our last unit.
- In the TED Talk he talks about how Nike sells from two markets. These markets are the secondary market and the retail market. The secondary market is where collectors would go to purchase more of a certain item. Here is a link that expands more on the secondary market. The retail market is where people would go to buy something to use, not to collect.
- If there was a ‘Stock Market of Things’, I would start collecting books and movies. I would have a room full of shelves for them all and I would try to read all of the books in my free time.
Monday, February 6, 2017
- This link is a human interest story. Its purpose is to inform and entertain the reader.
- The text structure of this link is description because the article is explaining the characteristics and facts of daydreaming.
- The self-driving cars interest me the most. Cars that can drive themselves are being tested in some places, and soon no one will even need their license. This could be good, reducing accidents by avoiding human error. Or self-driving cars could be bad. If nobody needed to drive, no one would bother learning how. Technology doesn’t have instincts or the ability to make that life-saving split-second decision. If something went wrong with the car, like the sensors shutting down, there’d be almost nothing we could do to prevent an accident, especially if no one could manually operate a car.
Monday, January 30, 2017
Non-fiction is reading material that is based on reality, such as real events, and real people. An example of non-fiction can be a news article or a textbook.
English classes today are moving away from fiction and short stories and more into non-fiction. Non-fiction is important for students to read and be able to comprehend because in the real world, that’s all there is. Students need to be able to understand the material they read, such as news articles or magazines. Reading fiction will get students almost nowhere in reality because the most important stories are what’s going on in the world around them. They need to be able to comprehend those stories.
This article states why daydreaming can be good for student minds. I chose this article because I daydream often and I wanted to see what they had to say about it and how it could be good for students.
Monday, January 23, 2017
Cardiovascular disease is a disease in the heart and blood vessels that can lead to heart attacks and, in some cases, death. This disease, among others, can be avoided by regular daily exercise. Daily exercise will strengthen your bones and muscles, helping to prevent diseases such as this one and some cancer types. Daily exercise will also improve one’s mental health and mood. If you’ve had a bad day or a stressful week, exercise is a good way to distract you from your worries while improving your body’s health. Regular physical activity can also help you to fall asleep at night and deepen your sleep. Daily exercise can benefit your body by helping to prevent diseases, deepening sleep, and improving your mental and physical health. Here is a link that expands on the benefits of physical activity.
Paris would have been a better husband for Juliet rather than Romeo. Romeo is not very committed to one woman, as he suddenly “loved” Juliet the first time he saw her, yelling “So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows as yonder lady o'er her fellows shows”. But before he came to the ball he claimed to be in love with another girl, Rosaline. Romeo would have lost interest in Juliet right away and moved on, leaving her nothing. Paris is rich and would have improved her social class. He also would have stayed loyal to her, because as far as we know, he has only ever had eyes for Juliet.
Narratives and memoirs are very similar methods of writing. They both have a storyline, whether it’s fictional or a biography. The author has a point they’re trying to convey through their writing, and can make it powerful in a narrative, or meaningful in a memoir. These writing methods are the best way for a writer to get their ideas or opinions out where people will read them.
Monday, January 9, 2017
- Frederick the Great wanted people to eat potatoes, but they didn’t eat many vegetables at that time. Frederick made them seem like food for the royal family, planting them and appointing guards to them day and night. People then tried stealing them, because if they’re worth protecting they must be good. Frederick told the guards not to guard them well so they could “steal” them. Ataturk wanted to discourage women from wearing a veil, so instead of making it illegal to wear them, he made it the law for prostitutes to wear the veil.
- Rory is saying that it was useless to spend so much money just to knock 40 minutes off a 3 ½ hour ride. This falls under perceived change because this change is useless, even though people may believe it is a significant change.
- Perceived value is a technique in advertising that persuades people that the value of something is higher than real value portrays it to be. If something in reality is changed, some people won’t accept it, and nothing will really change. But if people feel a certain way about something, they will believe what they think is right. Perceived value is the best way to persuade people to think a different way or to buy something because people will do whatever they think will benefit them the most. Here is a link expanding on perceived value and it’s effectiveness.
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
- I believe surveys are useful in argumentative papers because they are a good way to collect the data you need for your paper. In surveys, you can word questions and answers to get what you need to prove your point in the argument. Though they’re not always completely reliable, you can word it in your essays to make it seem like the data supports your claim.
- The biggest struggle for me so far has been research. I’ve had a hard time finding ads with certain hooks or coming up with questions for my survey. It’s hard to find specific advertisements on the internet because there are so many.
- This advertisement uses Inclusive Language and a Hyperbole. A hyperbole is used because it exaggerates how you can express your musical side with a Samsung phone. The advertisement has Inclusive Language because it’s telling you specifically to express your musical side. You can tell this advertisement uses Badge Value because it makes you feel special to have a Samsung phone because it’ll bring out your musical side.